Wednesday, March 25

Flank steak 4 ways

Here is how I made the most of my $9 steak this week.

Monday night: Mixed Grill

Ingredients
1 cup Brown rice
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
Flank steak (1.5 lbs)
1/2 onion sliced thin
handful of asparagus spears cut into 2" pieces
handful of mushrooms, halved

Boil brown rice per directions on box using the chicken stock instead of water.

Sprinkle both sides of the flank steak with Lawry's and pepper. Grill to no more than medium/medium well. Let rest for 10 minutes.
(I stink at this so I can't tell you how long to cook it. I started it on my stovetop grillpan, but it never cooked through so I stuck it in the oven for awhile. If you happened to have married a man with a grill, delegate this task to him!)

While the meat is resting grill up the veggies.
(I threw these on my grill pan, but you can also saute them up in a skillet)

Slice steak and serve atop rice and veggies. Be sure to pour any of the juices that accumulated while the steak was resting over all the rice and stuff. That stuff is good.

Here is how I used my leftovers.

Tuesday's lunch: Greek Pizza

Pop a tortilla under the broiler until it is just a little crispy. Turn it over and top with some drained canned or fresh diced tomatoes, feta cheese and thinly sliced steak. Season with salt, pepper and a little oregano. Broil again until warm and tortilla browns a little.

Wednesday lunch: Stir fry

Toss rice and any remaining veggies in a pan with a little oil. Add sliced steak. Season with teriyaki and/or soy sauce.

Jason's brown bag lunch: Philly Wrap

Saute onions and green peppers until caramelized. Put veggies, steak and a slice of provolone cheese in a wrap. Heat in microwave until warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Jason! I have never gotten down the knack of planning one meal to be done several ways as leftovers. You are good!

Karen