Friday, June 5

Up on my soapbox

After reading this article on Fox News today, I just had to comment. A woman in Florida became a quadruple amputee because of an untreated kidney stone. She went to the ER and told them she had a kidney stone. The ER doc turned it over to another doctor who was treating her over the phone! Her arms and legs started turning black and this doctor never came to see her! Instead, he had them take out her gall bladder

So, if anyone is wondering why I have seen so many different doctors lately, it is because of stories like this. When something is not working right in our bodies, we know. We know when something is amiss. It is so critical to not just rely on one doctor's opinion. Keep going until you get an answer that you feel is right.

I've always had a lot of respect for doctors. They went to a lot of school to get to where they are. But, I have spent 31 years inside this skin and they have to respect that. The first doc I saw when I got sick in April ran a lot of tests and seemed genuinely concerned. But, when my case no longer seemed urgent, she was quick to diagnosis it as acid reflux and told me to just keep taking my pills and see how it went. I knew that wasn't right. I know I have some acid reflux, but that's not why I feel so crappy. So, I went to see doctor #2. He ordered more tests and I feel like so far we're moving in the right direction. Emphasis on moving.

One thing that stands in the way is how expensive it can be. Trust me, I know. But, there is no reset button when it comes to our health. This woman was letting her insurance company dictate her medical care over the phone. All she would have had to do was call her insurance company and request a new doctor or even get out of bed and go to a different hospital! I know her insurance may not have covered her, but she might still have her arms and legs. How much is that worth?

It's bad enough having to deal with a big insurance company in these situations I can't imagine what it's going to be like when the government is in charge. Nothing scares me more than this. I can't even go there...

1 comment:

Melanie-Pearl said...

was hoping to hear that doc c called you this aftn.

ugh. i spent an hour and 15 at my docs again today. waiting to see if it's the vita B that did me in or if there's really something else going on. think it's the first tho. how was i to know those things would put all those tiny holes back in? want my expensive vita's? hopefully you aren't allergic to energy, too. (this is what the endocrin. said to take for metabolic +). should have called my uro to ask i guess. doh.

at least we have each other, right?