Sunday, October 31

Our Weekend

Our holiday weekend didn't start the way we planned. Anthony woke up Friday morning feeling lousy. He had a little cold bug, but was having to work really hard to breath. Finally, by evening we decided I should take him to immediate care. His pulse ox was down to 91 when we got there. The doctor had to give him two breathing treatments with two different meds to get him breathing normal again. The hardest part was how shaky and hyper he was from all of the medicine in his system. We followed up at home with more breathing treatments and he's on a round of steroids. Thankfully, the steroids kicked in after 24 hours and he's now back to his old self again.

It felt strange being the mom that night. I spent so many nights in the ER with my mom and dad growing up. Anthony sat on my lap during his last treatment and the smell of the albuterol was almost comforting. Even though Anthony nor Bella has ever had such an acute asthma attack before, it all felt very familiar, very routine. I knew what medicine the doctor was going to prescribe even before she wrote it down. That was my childhood. It's hard to see my children suffer with the same illness that I did as a child. Very hard.
At least we still got to Trick or Treat.
Thomas and Tinkerbell

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful dinner on Halloween! It was delicious!

Melanie-Pearl said...

What cute trick-r-treaters you have! So glad you have the asthma thing under wraps. Was thinking about how hard that must be for you to watch and know the panic A was feeling. I am sorry for that for you---but in thinking about it I am glad the kids have you to understand it so well that you are able to help them exactly as they need.

Melanie-Pearl said...

Heb 4:15. It just helps to know someone bigger/stronger than you has conquered before. Maybe we need to give you a superhero cape that you can pass down? :)