I owe a lot of my confidence in cooking to Shauna at Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. When I started this new venture I didn't know anyone who was eating this way. I didn't even know what gluten was. Finding the Gluten Free Girl blog was like finding a new friend. Someone who could walk me through this new journey and show me the ropes.
Shauna is having a giveaway on her blog right now. To enter, I have to blog about what I'm making for Thanksgiving this year. This is my entry.
I love, love green bean casserole. I knew right away that this was the dish I needed to recreate for Thanksgiving this year. The original, made with cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions, is for sure a no. Last week, Pioneer Woman posted her homemade version. Perfect. Her recipe was easy-peasy to convert to gluten free.
I thickened the white sauce with Gluten Free Girl's all-purpose flour blend and chopped up a few slices of Udi bread for the crunchy topping. It was so good. I don't miss the original recipe at all.Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
-adapted from Pioneer Woman's Green Bean Casserole
2 lb fresh green beans, ends cut off (I used 2 12oz packages of frozen green beans, thawed)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 T butter
4T gluten free all-purpose flour (you can find the recipe for the blend I use here)
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 1/2 t salt, adjust to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 cup grated sharp chedder cheese
1 (4 oz) jar pimentos, drained
1 cup gluten free bread, such as Udi whole grain bread, chopped fine to make coarse breadcrumbs
If using fresh green beans, cut them in half and then blanch: Drop the beans into a pot of boiling water. Let them cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the water and plunge them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
If using frozen, place the beans in a large bowl and set aside.
Add bacon to skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 2 minutes and then add garlic and onions. Cook until bacon is done, but not crisp, and onions are starting to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a separate skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter in skillet and whisk constantly to evenly mix into butter. Cook for a minute or two and then slowly pour in milk and half-and-half. Continue whisking until mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.Add salt, pepper and cayenne then add chedder cheese. Stir while the cheese melts. Turn off the heat.
Add pimentos to cheese sauce. Then add onion/bacon mixture. Pour over green beans and stir gently to combine. Transfer mixture to baking dish and top with breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until sauce is bubbling and breadcrumbs are golden.

No comments:
Post a Comment