Saturday, January 29

Why Haiti?

  
A few weeks ago, Sarah Palin posted some pictures on Facebook about her recent trip to Haiti with Franklin Graham. The comment pool was filled with people who were upset that she was helping people in Haiti when so many people in our own country are in need.  Since then, I have been struggling to find the words to describe this country that God has laid on so many of our hearts. So I'll use pictures instead.
Photo by Google Earth
The photo above was taken of the Presidential Palace in Port-au-Prince on November 9, 2010.  Ten months after the earthquake. The palace still lies in ruin. People have been living under those blue tarps for over a year in a country that gets 54" of rain a year.


This is Mirebalais. It is believed the cholera outbreak started here in the Artibonite River. The people here don't have access to clean water, so they drink out of the river. There are no drinking fountains. Clean, fluorinated water doesn't come out of the tap or out of the door on the fridge. $5000 could drill a well. It could free them from life threatening disease.

This is the reason I started Bags on a Mission. Profits from sales in my shop go toward funding The Wheatland Mission's future trips to Haiti and the current projects of GVCM. Here are a few of the rice bags I have for sale. Come shop and give to those who need is so great.

No comments: