Wednesday, December 28

Gluten and Waffles



I'm very upset that these two packages look the same. Can you see how a person would look at those yummy waffles and not realize they are missing the little badge that says gluten free? Jason missed it, I missed it. I didn't stop to read the label until I had downed half a waffle. It wasn't even a good waffle with the icing and cinnamon sugar on top. It was the first waffle that stuck to the waffle iron and I had to eat it with my fingers just to see if it was any good. (It was really good!) Now I am sick. Very sick.

Once I realized what had happened, Jason and I went out for a few hours to shop before I started feeling bad. By dinnertime I was feeling pretty bad. The fatigue is really bad this time. My muscles are tired and achy. I don't want to move. I also have a headache and a stomach ache. The stomach thing is weird in that it feels the worst when I'm hungry. Snacking seems to help. It feels different from a stomach bug. Kind of hard to explain. Best described as I want to lay on the couch and not move.

Normally I read every label. One time I slipped and it cost me. That is what is so tiring about this condition. Sometimes I just want to eat and not have to think about what I'm eating or where it was cooked or what it's touched. When I got home my special gluten free cookies were in a bag with regular cookies so I couldn't eat them. Thankfully, the brownies bites I made on Sunday were still good. I ate 6 and felt better about the cookie situation.

The only good that comes from all of this is that it reminds me why I work so hard to eat gluten free. It's worth all the trouble to not feel this way. I know that I can heal myself with food. If I am careful about what I eat, I will feel better by Friday.

1 comment:

Jason R said...

I'm going to find this 'William Sonoma', and punch him in the stomach.