Monday, July 16

Eggplant Parm

Produce is amazing in California. That's a given isn't it? Did you know that we don't pay sales tax on groceries here? Our rent has gone up but my grocery bill has gone way down. When I found eggplant on sale at Sprout's I was decided to see if I could make eggplant parmesan gluten free. My kids love it! They ask for it all the time. Here's how you do it.
Slice up your eggplant into 1/2" slices and place the slices on a cooling rack. You need 1 eggplant for every 2 people. Sprinkle the eggplant with Kosher salt and let it sit while you get your breading station set up.
Bowl 1: G/F flour This is my new favorite  
Bowl 2: 2 eggs
Bowl 3: Breadcrumbs mixed with shredded parmesan cheese
I make my own breadcrumbs from leftover Udi bread that I chop in the food processor.  
Back to the eggplant. The salt we put on the eggplant draws out some of the liquid so dry them off with a paper towel. When dry, run them through the flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Place them on a sheet pan lined with foil that's been lightly oiled. Bake the eggplant at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. You want them browned and very tender.
While the eggplant bakes, mix up a simple marinara (or you can pop open a jar, I won't tell.)
1/2 c diced onion
2 cloves garlic
1 (28oz) can San Marzano tomatoes
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
Saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of your spoon. Add spices and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until the eggplant is done. Server the eggplant with the sauce and a side of buttered pasta. Top with parmesan cheese. Yum.

1 comment:

Kim from Kansas said...

Ha! When I first read your title, I thought you visited an eggplant farm. Please post about it if you do.