Jason's parents came to visit us for Thanksgiving this year. Our meal was simple but tasty. Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, brussel sprouts with brown butter and cranberries, and of course, cranberry salad. It was great having family around to celebrate with us.
We took a trip to the Getty while Jason was at work.
We skipped church on Sunday so we could spend the day at our favorite beach in Malibu. It was a little chilly since the sun was only out for a few minutes. We played a lot of Frisbee and Jason and his dad went for a hike up Point Dume (the peak behind Bella in the last pic).For the past 6 months we have been walking through a refining fire. As I sat and watched the kids play in the sand I was thinking about what I want to come of this experience. When we get to the end of the fire, I want to look back and be happy with who I have become. Right now, life is very heavy. It's hard. I feel like I am being stretched beyond my capacity. I'm learning though how to lean on God, mostly because I don't have anyone else. Jason and I both felt like God wanted us to take this job. We believed that He had something for us here. We had no idea what lay ahead. Amid all the pressures and trials it's easy to just start looking for a way out, but I still have hope that the end will be worth the time it took to get there.
3 comments:
When you are about to hit sixty you look back and wonder if you did anything right. Then out of the blue of an ocean picture you realize that God did everything right when He blessed your children with the desire to do the right thing and Bless His Name. It is at that point that you realize that you may have made multiple mistakes but He went ahead and blessed you anyways with the joy that can't be measured by the sands of the ocean. I love my children and thank God that He blessed them with Himself. When your children hurt you hurt more. When your children lean on God it relieves all of that pain.
I frequently use the crucible/refiner's fire analogy in therapy. I know a little bit about both those things! The crucible itself cradles the raw metal scrap---though it heats with the metal, it can handle much higher temperatures...that's why it's the crucible (God is with you in this fire). A forest fire burns indiscriminately---this is not the same with the refiner's fire which is closely watched and guided and guarded (He will not give you more than you can handle). The metal "flashes" and the dross is worked up and out (Fighting fire with fire is intense. Purity wins). If the hot metal is thrown into cool water (or something jewelers call pickle) all the black dross instantly "lets go" when the metal cools (Living water quenches and frees). There's just so much symbolism packed in that analogy. I am excited to know you this side of CA. Proud of you little cousin!
Being far away physically, gives us picture a of our relationship to God. (Father Son, & Spirit) A relationship with a real person that you can't physically touch, but that is real. So much easier to have the physical closeness that has goes with our physical relationships. God is jealous of our physical relationships, He wants His spirit to grow in you to fill that void that you have felt since leaving all you love in Kansas. Your spirit is right for that to happen, we pray with you for the inner joy that will fill that void you feel! Pap Tom
Post a Comment