On my church's blog there is a weekly feature called "Continuing the Conversation." I love these posts because they add to what Paul was teaching and ask questions to open up a dialog on the topic
The following did not occur at my church.
It happened far, far away.
The following did not occur at my church.
It happened far, far away.
"If we don't go to Heaven when we die, then the Christian life isn't worth living. We may as well eat, drink and be merry"
I have been struggling with this statement for about 9 days now. I just don't believe it. Now, I think I know why.
I'll start by saying that I do believe in Heaven and Hell and am very much looking forward to spending my days in Heaven. That said, would this life I live be worth while if I didn't believe I was going to Heaven? That sounds like a stupid question since a lot of what I believe revolves around this ultimate goal. But, none the less, it was asked and so I must answer it. On with it already!
This Christian life is worth living because I have a Friend. A Friend who loves me more than I love my own children. He walks beside me and holds me up when it's just to hard to stand. God isn't waiting for me up in Heaven he's sitting beside me watching me type these words. Since I grew up with a wonderful dad, I love the analogy of God as my Father. The rules of my childhood were laid out to give me a wonderful, fruitful life. My parents wanted to me to grow up a happy person and to be successful. Surely God doesn't want any less for me. This life he laid out for me in the Bible must have the same intent. It's not a life without struggle and heartache, but that's the world's problem not a flaw in God's plans for me.
So what about this eating, drinking and merriness I am apparently missing out on? When I look at those living in "the world" I don't feel like I'm missing out. I see hopelessness; conditional, wavering love; people trying to fill an empty space. No, thank you. I'll take my God instead.
***There is more I could say on this topic and a lot more I could say about the sermon I heard that day, but, I just realized that it's 11:44pm and I shouldn't be blogging under the influence of no sleep. So, I will continue this another day.
I have been struggling with this statement for about 9 days now. I just don't believe it. Now, I think I know why.
I'll start by saying that I do believe in Heaven and Hell and am very much looking forward to spending my days in Heaven. That said, would this life I live be worth while if I didn't believe I was going to Heaven? That sounds like a stupid question since a lot of what I believe revolves around this ultimate goal. But, none the less, it was asked and so I must answer it. On with it already!
This Christian life is worth living because I have a Friend. A Friend who loves me more than I love my own children. He walks beside me and holds me up when it's just to hard to stand. God isn't waiting for me up in Heaven he's sitting beside me watching me type these words. Since I grew up with a wonderful dad, I love the analogy of God as my Father. The rules of my childhood were laid out to give me a wonderful, fruitful life. My parents wanted to me to grow up a happy person and to be successful. Surely God doesn't want any less for me. This life he laid out for me in the Bible must have the same intent. It's not a life without struggle and heartache, but that's the world's problem not a flaw in God's plans for me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
***There is more I could say on this topic and a lot more I could say about the sermon I heard that day, but, I just realized that it's 11:44pm and I shouldn't be blogging under the influence of no sleep. So, I will continue this another day.
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your heart--I love you, JT
Thank you for your love and your faith. mom
What a great post!
Very sweet post. Thanks for sharing your heart. Like you, I have the same Friend, and much the same heart. I love my Lord and love people very much.
To me, the "issues" that usually hang people up just don't really matter anymore. I spent so many years in a very religious crowd, and have been out of that setting now for almost 5 years. I have absolutely no regrets about it. I have drawn closer to my Lord, and to friends. I find I have lost much of my churchy vocabulary, possibly exchanging that and some legalism for loving and accepting others as they are. In some settings, I think it is easy to forget that "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us", and that the righteousness put on us was not our own, but His, just as the sin put on Him was not His, but ours.
Lately, it's more about what I live out than what I know... and I find myself in alot fewer arguments, lauging alot more and enjoying my life more in spite of the difficulties and challenges I face every day as part of taking care of my wife, who is disabled fully, raising our two sons, and working a demanding job.
God has so totally taken care of every need we have had...
So my response is that the Christian life gives us every reason to eat (with others, fellowshipping), drink (of the Spirit and of wine, just not to excess) and be merry (laughter doeth good like a medicine) - and in everything, do so as unto the Lord... The cultural demands of our local society differ from place to place, but our God is one in the same...
and the author of joy and enjoyment and life - to be lived to the full...
Namaste! (The Spirit within me honors and respects the Spirit within you)...
Jeff
Post a Comment