This week God decided to give me a trial run.
Patient #1: I've been Bella's nurse for 6 years now and I still don't have her figured out. Her chronic sinus infections and coughing always leave me guessing. This last one was tricky, but after the second round of antibiotics I was feeling pretty good. Until she broke out in hives. Is it the a/b? (I stopped the a/b on Friday, but it stays in the body for 5 days after the last dose) Is it something in the house? She's had them for six days now. She didn't have any today, but I gave her Claritin at 1:30 this morning when she came into our room in just her undies itching from head to toe. I gave her more tonight so I don't know if it's the Claritin or if they're gone. I'm guessing Claritin because that's what I used to treat my hives 3 years ago. I see another doctor visit coming on.
Patient #2 is my dear husband. He had his knee scoped this morning. I'm in charge of his meds, refilling his Polar Care and telling him, "I don't care if it doesn't hurt, you can't walk on it!" He's a real sport though, not complaining at all. The only annoying thing I've had to do for him was bring him his darts while he was shooting Bella with the Nerf gun this afternoon. (Don't worry, she thinks it's a blast.)
With Bella's maybe asthma and current allergy problem and Jason's failing joints, I do get to play doctor quite a bit. The only problem is, I don't know nearly as much as I wish I did and it drives me nuts. Going back to school isn't an option for me right now, but who knows what the future holds. Maybe I should just subscribe to the New England Journal of Medicine and call it good.
No comments:
Post a Comment