Saturday, October 3

Mommy Update

I thought maybe it was time to update ya'll on what's going on with me.

As of September 21 I have been gluten-free. That means nothing containing wheat has passed my lips. I have held my head happily over a pan of warm chocolate chips cookies I baked for the kids, but I didn't even taste them. The reward for this has been that I feel so much better. Better than I have in a long time.

The tricky part is that I don't know if it is because of my diet or if the Nexium that I started a few weeks before is just now starting to work. So, it looks like I'm going to have a few more tests done. Celiac Disease (that's the gluten allergy) is diagnosed by taking a biopsy of the small intestine. The body treats the gluten as a toxin and it in turn attacks the small intestine. I'm also going to have an EGD where the doctor uses a scope to look inside the stomach. Both sound like tons of fun and I have been putting them off for quite awhile. But, it's time to stop delaying and get some answers. I'll let you know what I find out.

1 comment: